On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM, jonforums (Jon Forums)
<redmine / ruby-lang.org> wrote:

> Issue #7820 has been updated by jonforums (Jon Forums).
>

> A great idea to simplify and clarify!
>
> Perhaps listing support tiers instead of "well-cared" and "maintained"?
>
>   * Tier 1: the platform has a public CI (normally green) and is maintain=
ed by a ruby-core committer
>   * Tier 2: the platform is maintained by a ruby-core committer

I like a name of tier[12].

 - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ruby_SIG)

> Note that the 3rd Party tier is an opportunity for commercial and non-com=
mercial parties to get a form of (non-endorsed) advertisement.

> While it should be self evident that just because a platform (e.g. Arch L=
inux) is not listed in any support tier doesn't mean MRI won't build/test/i=
nstall on that platform, consider adding something much shorter than the se=
ntence you just finished. Essentially, "try it, and if it breaks let us kno=
w."

In this case, 3rd party want to use their own bug tracker. thus, I don't wa=
nt
to put misleading advertise. As far as our community don't have any
maintainer nor developer, we have to keep silence. I'm afraid
unnecessary
advertise bring them harmful.

> Consider dropping the OS version as it's misleading and often out-of-date=
. For example, listing "Ubuntu 10.04 64bit" can be misinterpreted as meanin=
g ruby-core is only supporting an outdated OS version. I know this to be fa=
lse as I regularly test on Ubuntu 12.10 32bit and 64bit.

> Instead of listing mingw, mswin32, mswin64 consider:
>
>   * Tier 1:
>     * Windows 7/8 32/64bit (nobu)
>
>   * Tier 2:
>     * Windows 7/8 32/64bit (usa)
>
> Yes, I'm in favor of dropping "official" support for XP and ready to dodg=
e the arrows for advocating for it ;)

Hm. this is interesting and debatable idea. I have an another idea.

* Tier 1:
  * Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

* Tier 2:
  * Ubuntu >10.04 64-bit

The background theory is, tier1 must have CI. then tier have to have
version number. "maybe work" should be categorized tier 2.