Issue #7815 has been updated by zzak (Zachary Scott).

Thank you for the review Yusuke-san!

In my opinion Kernel#set_trace_func is obsolete, because it's an older and outdated API for TracePoint. We should recommend users try TracePoint instead, but it's not an officially deprecated feature. Ok?

> In addition, Thread#set_trace_func should not refer the obsolete method
There is a bug in TracePoint spec where you cannot specify listen for a target thread, so Thread#set_trace_func is still acceptable API and preferred method for doing this. In this case, referring to Kernel#set_trace_func still applies because it carries additional api on _this_ API. Until TracePoint spec is fixed, we can still cross-reference #set_trace_func.

If you'd like I can supply a patch only for warning on TracePoint events, it's up to you.
Bug #7815: Backport: Warning about TracePoint events to 2.0.0

Author: zzak (Zachary Scott)
Assignee: mame (Yusuke Endoh)
Category: DOC
Target version: 2.0.0
ruby -v: -

Can we please backport r39168 to 2_0_0 branch?

https://github.com/ruby/ruby/commit/810516e
and
https://github.com/ruby/ruby/commit/810516e.patch

--