Issue #7816 has been reported by charliesome (Charlie Somerville).

Feature #7816: Don't invalidate method caches when defining a new method on a class without subclasses
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7816

Author: charliesome (Charlie Somerville)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
Attached is a patch that avoids incrementing the VM state version when defining a method and these conditions are true:

* The method is not a redefinition of an existing method in the same class or any superclass
* The class has no subclasses
* The class is not a module

This means that defining singleton methods on objects no longer invalidates every method cache. This will significantly improve performance of code that defines singleton methods at runtime (eg. when using OpenStruct)

In my testing, a fresh Rails app boots about 15% faster (~1.7 sec down to ~1.4 sec).

This controller action can do ~440 requests per second with my patch, compared to ~320 requests per second without my patch.

  class HomeController < ApplicationController
    def index
      OpenStruct.new a: 1, b: 2
      render text: "home"

Of course these numbers will vary between apps, but I think this is a good start in improving the performance of a very common use case in Ruby.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/