Sent from my phone, so excuse the typos.
On Feb 8, 2013 8:50 AM, "Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas" <rr.rosas / gmail.com>
wrote:

> If you really believe symbols are similar to enums I guess you haven't
done much C, C++ or Java programming and used enums. Here is the main
reason why enums exist.

Yes, the reason they are called 'enums' and not 'arbitrary identifiers' is
because they define an explicit, finite, enumerated set of identifiers; as
such an 'enum' is a set of things-that-are-like-symbols. But =B4head=B4 is =
not,
and should never be, equal to 0 or 1 or whatever.  The fact that C reveals
its implementation in this way is an artifact of C, not the concept of
enums in general.