From: Nobu
> daz wrote in [ruby-core:05160]:
>
> > I did some web-research to see how others had approached the
> > problem and hacked this, which might be better ...
>
> Does it work on NT too?  Copy command on NT apparently copied
> even an empty file, IIRC.

According to the XP docs this is still a feature ...
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/copy.mspx

? Copying zero-length files

  Copy does not copy files that are 0 bytes long. Use xcopy to copy these files.

> > :: N.B. - errorlevel not used - unavailable from fc/find before DOS 6
>
> Which version of DOS is running?

C:\>ver
Windows 98 [Version 4.10.2222]

(Which probably means DOS 7 - 98se)

I see ERRORLEVEL from 'find.exe' but not from 'fc.exe'

What I meant was that neither gave ERRORLEVEL before DOS 6
fc.exe was fixed some time later i.e. it could have been in
a later update to DOS 7 or in cmd.exe for NT; I don't know.

Of course, this dependency on copy is likely to fail for
people using alternative DOS shells like 4DOS.
You have a better knowledge of the range of platforms Ruby
wants to support, so if you would like a different solution,
say so and I'll try to find something.

daz