Issue #7698 has been updated by sorah (Shota Fukumori).

Translating from [ruby-dev:46864], Tadashi said:

> We can avoid this bug by changing directory tree in gems.
> But, Current status means any gems may be not installable after 2.0.0, by incompatibility in current rubygem bundled in 2.0.0.

> So, I propose the following solutions:

> 1. Revert that incompatibility before 2.0.0 release or 2.0.0's first patch level release to make such gems installable.
> 2. If you cannot, please review all gems that installable in 2.0.0 and notify to authors if a gem can't be installed in 2.0.0.
>    (This may be rubygems.org's task)
> 3. Announce that like "Your gem may be not installable in 2.0.0" to all gem authors.

> I think solution (1) is the best. (2) seems high-cost.
> (3) is the worst way for me, because I've not seen an announcement like such,
> and seems too late to announce.
Bug #7698: RubyGems 2.0 has an incompatibility about installation of extension libraries

Author: mrkn (Kenta Murata)
Assignee: kou (Kouhei Sutou)
Category: lib
Target version: 2.0.0
ruby -v: ruby 2.0.0dev (2013-01-14 trunk 38812) [x86_64-linux]

The current rubygem included in ruby-head has an incompatibility about installation of extension libraries.
This incompatibility makes `make install` to be failed because the current gem doesn't separate build, source and install directories.

This is reported as a bug of bigdecimal's gemspec in #7344 firstly, but Tadashi Saito pointed out it also can be reproduced in other gems including extension libraries, such as decimal.gem.
I think this incompatibility will make gem-developers to be in trouble after ruby-2.0 is released.
So this should be resolved before ruby-2.0 is released.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/