I'm on Windows XP, using VC7 to compile. I've previously gotten a good
ruby build on this box, so I don't think it's anything local. While
the problem is somewhat intermittent, it seems to happen the majority
of runs. To reproduce, just do a normal build of 1.8.3p1, and then use
that build to run extconf.rb in win32-file (which uses win32api):

  C:\_co\source\build\ruby\extensions\win32-file-0.4.2>\_co\source\build\ruby\dist
\bin\ruby.exe extconf.rb
  checking for GetLongPathName()... yes
  checking for GetFileSizeEx()... yes
  checking for EncryptFile()... yes
  extconf.rb:18: [BUG] Segmentation fault
  ruby 1.8.3 (2005-05-12) [i386-mswin32]

  This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

This is not win32-file specific, as it also fails (every time so far)
when building the oci8 driver. I just used win32-file as an example
because the pre-requisites might be easier.

I've tried this with the latest stable-snapshot, with the same
results. If I can provide any more info, please let me know.

Thanks!

--
Nathaniel

<:((><