Issue #7690 has been updated by shugo (Shugo Maeda).

marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) wrote:
> shugo (Shugo Maeda) wrote:
> > > 3) As Matz stated [ruby-core:26301], flat_map is "taken from flatMap from Scala or concatMap from Haskell". I'm not familiar with either, but I read that Scala's flatMap is not a monadic bind, right?
> >
> > Where did you read that?  I guess Scala's flatMap is also bind.
>
> "Scala's flatMap is indeed not a monadic bind" here http://igstan.ro/posts/2012-08-23-scala-s-flatmap-is-not-haskell-s.html but I only scanned this quickly and I'm don't know if that's correct.

Thanks for the information.
I guess the comment said "Scala's flatMap is indeed not a monadic bind" because Scala's flatMap is extended to accept functions which returns another type of container.

  scala> List(1, 2, 3, 4) flatMap {x => Some(x)}
  res0: List[Int] = List(1, 2, 3, 4)

Here, the function {x => Some(x)} returns Some(x), which is not a List, but flatMap unwrap values from them.
In this case, flatMap is not a bind operator.

However, it can be used as a bind operator if a given function returns a List.

  scala> List("foo bar", "baz") flatMap {x => x.split(" ")}
  res6: List[java.lang.String] = List(foo, bar, baz)

That's why I said Lazy#flat_map should flatten lazy enumerators.
It's not a pure bind operator, but should be able to be used as a bind operator.

> > > 4) The argument about flat_map being a monadic bind applies only to monads (i.e. lazy enumerators). It should only flatten those, not arbitrary Enumerables
> >
> > I feel difficulty about it because duck typing is preferred in Ruby.
>
> Right, but the core of Ruby relies more on conversions than pure duck typing.
>
> In particular, Enumerable#flat_map uses `to_ary`. For the lazy flat_map, there is no "to_lazy" or similar...

Yes, that's the problem I was thinking of.

I was thinking of having a predicate like lazy_enumerator?, but your idea of checking each and force sounds better,
because it's too late to introduce a new method for Ruby 2.0.0.

Bug #7690: Enumerable::Lazy#flat_map should not call each