On 6/2/05, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com> wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2005, at 9:59 AM, Shugo Maeda wrote:
>
> > It looks like GNU Readline, not libedit.
> > Did you install it yourself?
>
> No, GNU readline ships on Mac OS X 10.4:
>
> /usr/include/readline
> /usr/include/readline/history.h
> /usr/include/readline/readline.h
> /usr/lib/libreadline.dylib
>
> If you'd like, sometime Eric Hodel or I can get you a login on an OSX
> box with a checkout all set up.

Actually, it doesn't. They have stated publicly that they can't ship
it because of licensing issues (GPL). They symlink it to the
libedit.dylib:

mark@eMac% l /usr/lib | grep readline
lrwxr-xr-x     1 root  wheel        13 May 20 09:17 libreadline.dylib
-> libedit.dylib
mark@eMac% system_profiler | egrep '(Kernel|System) Version'
      System Version: Mac OS X 10.4 (8A428)
      Kernel Version: Darwin 8.0.0

Are you sure you didn't install it yourself, or something else didn't
install it for you? My system doesn't have anything but the symlink.

cheers,
Mark