Feature #5481: Gemifying Ruby standard library

Author: nahi (Hiroshi Nakamura)
Assignee: nahi (Hiroshi Nakamura)
Category: lib
Target version: next minor

=begin

Up-to-date summary of this proposal is at ((<URL:https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby/wiki/StdlibGem>))

== Motivation

 * ruby's release cycle is slow for some standard libraries;
   * ex. security fix for WEBrick, xmlrpc and Zlib.
   * ex. API iteration for net/http, OpenSSL, json, psych, RDoc, minitest and rake.
 * There's already the feature called 'default gems' in ruby and some stdlibs are already using it:
   * rake, rdoc, minitest, json, io-console, bigdecimal
   * And some gems are already doing out-of-band releases.
 * When releasing we should give independence equally to all stdlibs, but in a consistent and controllable way.

== Proposal

 * Allow out-of-band stdlib releases.
   * We are not proposing changes to ruby's release management, the release manager would decide when they release ruby and stdlib.
 * Allow more stdlibs to be installed as a 'default gem'
 * Register these gems on RubyGems.org
   * Introduce a new mechanism: controlling supported ruby version so that we can avoid installing unexpected version of stdlib gems.
     For example, a WEBrick gem for ruby 2.0.1 (released from ruby_2_0_1 branch) should not be installed for ruby 2.0.0 (released from ruby_2_0_0 branch) unless we know it works for both 2.0.0 and 2.0.1.

Note:

 * Moving stdlibs repository location is not a target of this proposal. The implementation details of stdlib gems should hide this from ruby committers.
 * ruby_1_9_3 is not a target of this proposal. The change should be introduced from 2.0.0 release.

...Some more details of the proposal and discussion topics are going to follow as comments.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/