Issue #7580 has been updated by dummey (Ricky Ng).

I would normally agree that 'shift' would be the proper term except that it's used in Array already which could cause a bit of confusion.
Feature #7580: Range translation

Author: charliesome (Charlie Somerville)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin
I would like to propose the (({#+})) and (({#-})) methods on (({Range})).

These would be useful for translating ranges - for example, given a range where the endpoints are 1-indexed, the range could be translated by 1 in the negative direction to use in (({Array#[]})).

Instead of doing a syntactically-bulky manual translation like so:

  ary[(range.begin - 1)..(range.end - 1)]

(({Range#-})) could be used instead:

  ary[range - 1]

The translation methods would not handle certain endpoint types specially, they would just pass the call on.

Here's an example implementation in Ruby:

  class Range
    def +(other)
      Range.new(self.begin + other, self.end + other, exclude_end?)
    end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/