Issue #4085 has been updated by sonysantos (Sony Santos).

Sorry, I'm arriving late (and I didn't read all discussion yet), but I've heard the ruby core team is looking for feedback on refinements, and I feel I must give my 2 cents.

What if refinements were truly, strictly lexically scoped? Nothing more than that? No affected subclasses, no module_eval issues, etc.

I think:

- it's enough for isolating conflicting libraries with core extensions (the target for refinements), and
- it breaks down all complexity of refinements, both for implementing as for programming, reading code etc.

I'm not a great or experienced Ruby programmer, but I made an emulation of how it would look:

http://rubychallenger.blogspot.com.br/2012/12/refinements-in-ruby-ingenuous.html

It's basic usage is:

module Camelize
  refine String do
    def camelize
      dup.gsub(/_([a-z])/) { $1.upcase }

class Foo
  Camelize.enable            # it could be "using Camelize", but I found it harder to implement by now

  def camelize_string(str)
    str.camelize
  end

  Camelize.disable
end

f = Foo.new
puts f.camelize_string('abc_def_ghi')   #=> abcDefGhi
# it works because str.camelize is called from an enabled range for Camelize in this file.

class Bar < Foo
  def camelize_and_join1(str_ary)
    str_ary.map {|str| camelize_string(str) }.join(',')  #=> ok, same reason above
  end

  def camelize_and_join2(str_ary)
    str_ary.map {|str| str.camelize}.join(',')   #=> NoMethodError, unless I was "using Camelize" in Bar
  end

  # I don't see why I would want the Foo's "using Camelize" be valid here. I don't need that!
  # If I need, I just add "using Camelize" again! Explicitly! Lexically! No more surprises in subclasses! KIS
end

sa = %w(abc_abc def_def ghi_ghi)

b = Bar.new
puts b.camelize_and_join1(sa)    #=> abcAbc,defDef,ghiGhi
puts b.camelize_and_join2(sa)    #=> NoMethodError
# Since the call to String#camelize isn't in a enabled range for Camelize in this file.

So here is my suggestion: truly lexically scoped "using module". Simple as that. I guess we don't need more than that.

Feature #4085: Refinements and nested methods