Issue #4541 has been updated by alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov).

stomar (Marcus Stollsteimer) wrote:
> Regarding the OP's criticism of poor API documentation, this has in the meantime been improved (with issue #6680).

I hope this does not mean that the specification is now based on the implementation :).

In my opinion,

  array = ['a', 'b', 'c']
  array[4..4] # => []

makes better sense than

  array = ['a', 'b', 'c']
  array[4..4] # => nil

I think that `nil` should only be returned if there is no way to return a meaningful value, but also no particular reason to raise an error.  Here a meaningful value to return IMO is `[]`, the same as for `array[3..4]`.

Think of a line of small tiles with letters 'a', 'b', 'c' on them which you have enumerated in your head starting with 0 on the left.

If you are asked to form a new line with letters 1..5, you will get the line ['b', 'c'] by taking 'b', then 'c', then nothing, and then taking nothing 2 more times.
If you are asked to form a new line with letters 3..4, you will get the empty line by taking 2 times nothing.
If you are asked to form a new line with letters 4..4, you will get the empty line by taking 1 time nothing.
If you are asked to form a new line with letters 4..5, you will get the empty line by taking 2 times nothing.

You will always get a line, you will not get "nil".

Feature #4541: Inconsistent Array.slice()