Issue #7539 has been updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune).

Assignee set to marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune)

> Looking at the implementation, a "can't append" would need some special code

Indeed. It would be redundant anyways, since the error message starts with "in `+':", or whichever method was called last.

> I am worried about implying that the user should add to_str, to_ary, etc. to fix this problem

Agreed, which is why I proposed making explicit the fact that implicit conversion failed.

So, I'll commit "no implicit conversion of <object> into <Class>" unless there's a better wording proposed
Bug #7539: Misleading error message "can't convert nil into string"