On 5/22/05, nobu.nokada / softhome.net <nobu.nokada / softhome.net>
wrote:
>> I don't. UNC pathname issues are too difficult to deal with in a
>> generic manner without getting into lots of conditionals.
>
> In file.c, whether a given path is UNC or not is judged by if
> it starts with successive 2 directory separators. Is it
> insufficient?

Vastly. The following is not a valid UNC path:

  \\server

It's only a server name. UNC paths must include the server and
share:

  \\server\share

So the above is equivalent to C:\.

I'll also point out that File#basename and File#dirname do NOT work
correctly with UNC paths.

I'd also like to reiterate my call for supporting wide filename
access through UTF-8 on Windows. There are things that I cannot do
in Ruby because I don't have access to these calls.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca