Hi everyone!

Here is a summary of the implementers meeting.  I am not an expert
summarizer, so you should also visit the wiki for a full log
(http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby/wiki/DevelopersMeeting20121210).

We'll have another meeting in about one month (depending on Matz's
schedule).

BEGIN

= Proposal of "Ruby Language Team"

== Details

* There are many implementations of Ruby
* Only one Ruby language
* We should form a group to define "Ruby" called Ruby Language Team
* The team consists of representatives from different implementation teams
* There will be a new way to propose features
  * Features require Champions
  * Champions belong to the Language Team
  * Champions refine proposals until the Language Team reaches consensus
  * When consensus is reached, proposal is approved
  * Approved proposals are added to RubySpec
  * After addition to RubySpec, the change is now considered "Ruby"
* Implementations are allowed to have experimental features
* Brixen will ensure smooth entry of feature in to RubySpec
* Specs will be in a central repository

== Concerns

* The person proposing the feature should write documentation to
* Brixen shouldn't be single point of failure
* If an implementation can't implement something, is it not "ruby"?
* Is 100% concensus really necessary?
* What about stdlib?
* Is it OK that we communicate in English?

== Results

* Rigid process is not great
* Having an executable spec that can be gradually translated to RubySpec is good
* "And I want to make sure as long as I live on this mortal
   state, you need my approval before adding something as official
   Ruby" -- matz
* We should try having more meetings among implementers
* Maybe we should maintain a flag to identify official "Ruby" features?
* Matz wants to remain dictator, but still have participation from implemeters.

--
Aaron Patterson
http://tenderlovemaking.com/