Bug #7539: Misleading error message "can't convert nil into string"

Author: connec (Chris Connelly)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: 1.9.3
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33570) [x86_64-linux]

When trying to call `String#+` with `nil` as an argument, you get the error "can't convert nil into String", which does not make sense (in fact seeming blatantly false) as `nil.to_s`, `String(nil)` etc. all return `''` without errors.

Ideally, this method should use `to_s` to convert the argument, or else report an error along the lines of "can't append nil to string".

Minimal test case:

Actual:
    > '' + nil
    TypeError: can't convert nil into String

Expected:
    > '' + nil
    ''

--