Issue #7518 has been reported by ngoto (Naohisa Goto).

Feature #7518: Fiddle::Pointer#to_str and Fiddle::Pointer#to_int should be removed
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7518

Author: ngoto (Naohisa Goto)
Assignee: tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson)
Category:
Target version:

There are Fiddle::Pointer#to_str and to_int, to be used for implicit conversion to String and Integer, respectively. I think those implicit conversion methods should be removed.
(Note that there are to_s and to_i, explicit conversion to String and Integer, respectively.)

About to_str: Because Fiddle::Pointer is not always a pointer of char *, and careless conversion of invalid pointer to a string would frequently cause SEGV. So, I think implicit conversion to string is very danger and it should be removed.

About to_int: Unlike to_str, pointer arithmetic methods are available in Fiddle::Pointer, but it lacks many methods for treating it as integer, and I think Fiddle::Pointer is not suitable for implicit conversion to integer.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/