Actually, I like your proposal.
But I make weak objection.

The following code doesn't stop forever.

  timeout(3){
    # long calculation / infinite loop  w/o IO operation
  }

I guess most of case, the block includes IO operation and no problem.
However, there are several case for it.

This is Dec and Preview 2 was released.
I think it is too slow to introduce it.

Again, I like this proposal.
If no people have object, I can agree with this proposal.

Alternative proposal is making such a safe timeout method with different
name such as `safe_timeout'.

--
// SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net