On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:27 AM, Brent Roman <brent / mbari.org> wrote:
> Charlie,
>    Five years ago, after a bit of arm twisting, you admitted that this
> technique could allow thread.raise to be used safely. Why the change of
> heart now?

I had to read through it a bit. Your proposal is quite a bit different
from this one, since it sets threads uninterruptible by default and
you have to opt-in. It would be safe, if you have to opt-in and you
know exactly what that implies (including unsafe interrupting of
ensure blocks). I haven't been following closely, but the proposal on
the current thread is (I believe) intended to designate in Ruby code
uninterruptible blocks of code. That would be safe too, if there's no
change of interrupting between the time you enter an ensure block and
when the uninterruptible section has started.

My bandwidth is limited, so I've been letting this issue go round and
round for a while before I jump in much.

- Charlie