Issue #7489 has been reported by jcaesar (Julius Caesar).

Bug #7489: Kernel.spawn sometimes executes string directly
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7489

Author: jcaesar (Julius Caesar)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p327 (2012-11-10 revision 37606) [x86_64-linux]

Kernel.spawn throws an exception in certain cases where it shouldn't.
It seems to attempt to execute the command directly, rather than passing
it to the shell.

See the demo script below.  What should happen, when I run this script,
is that both assertions should fail, and there should be an error message
from the testing framework about each test.  What actually happens is
that both tests pass and the test framework reports success.

#-------------------------------
require 'test/unit'

class TestSpawn < Test::Unit::TestCase
  #> either command would work fine if executed
  # in the shell.

  def test1
    assert_raises(Errno::ENOENT) { spawn ':' }
  end

  def test2
    assert_raises(Errno::ENOENT) { spawn 'a=b true' }

My compiler is GCC, and the output of "gcc --version" is:

  gcc-4.4.real (Debian 4.4.5-8) 4.4.5

Please note that I have attached my rbconfig.rb file.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/