On 01.12.2012 16:40, trans (Thomas Sawyer) wrote:

> Issue #7487 has been updated by trans (Thomas Sawyer).
>

> I didn't understand such response at first. Now, I think I realize possible confusion. I am proposing that cuts be used as underlying implementation for refinements. The whole `cut A < C` construct does not have to be exposed --It is nothing that end developer's would even see at this point. The point is to give refinements a well grounded design framework.

Ah, I missed this this thread and proposed something very similar (AST
transforms) to achieve pretty much the same thing in the other one, see
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/4085#note-211 (sorry for cross-posting)

That would be a more ruby-esque API on which refinements could be built.

> As they currently stand refinements look like an arbitrarily implemented kludge. I don't think anyone in there right mind would go near them. And I fear they would severely hamper adoption of Ruby 2.0.

I agree. We need a proper solution that integrates with the rest of the
language.