Issue #4085 has been updated by jonforums (Jon Forums).

>  |* Performance expectations. Is performance being completely ignored here, or shall we set some goals for the implementation? I appreciate your desire to make Ruby more expressive, but that doesn't pay the bills at the end of the day if refined calls are 100x slower than regular calls. Some consideration of performance needs to be made up front. I would propose that unless refined calls can be made exactly the same speed as unrefined calls, they should not be included. We'd essentially be adding a file-scoped feature that hurts performance of all calls in that file. Expressivity doesn't trump slowing an entire system down because of a single call made at the top level of a file.
>
>  My expectation is that if you don't see "using" and "refine" in the
>  source code, the performance will not be affected, as much as
>  possible.  It's the reason I gave up refinements in the module bodies,
>  inherited modules/classes and module_eval.  I don't demamd refined
>  call to be exact same speed as unrefined ones, but I'd expect them not
>  significantly slower.  I'd accept them if they are 5-15% slower than
>  normal calls.

Does the current implementation yet allow you guys to ballpark the range of performance impact? Specifically, the multiple gem (activated) scenario in which each gem has been refined.

If yes, does the performance impact appear to be pay-once-all-you-can-eat or does the decrease appear to be a function (linear, log, exp?) of the number of active gems in your graph?

Jon

Feature #4085: Refinements and nested methods