MartinBosslet (Martin Bosslet) wrote:
> > ((*Some caveats:*))
> >
> > * ((*Not all of these pass in MRI's OpenSSL impl. Many differences appear to be minor, but I need help sorting out what's wrong in MRI or JRuby or minor enough that the test just needs to be patched.*))
>
> OK, I will run the tests on my machine and publish the report here. We could discuss our next actions based on the results then?

Sounds good. I will monitor this bug, but poke me if I haven't noticed updates.

> > * ((*There are several tests that reference bug numbers from JRuby. We would like to contribute these tests, but we would ideally not lose the JRuby bug numbers for future reference.*))
>
> I'm confused, I was thinking I could simply strip those references when committing it to CRuby, or not?

I guess there's no good way to keep JRuby bug information present in those issues. Can we at least make sure the essence of the bug's description is captured in a one-line comment for those tests? It would be nice to see more comments in MRI tests indicating what they're testing in natural language.

> > * ((*This commit also adds fixtures for the certificate tests, using some self-generated certs, keys, etc.*))
>
> Hmm, it might be worth the effort trying to combine what we have in an attempt to refactor and clean up. There's already similar stuff in our test suite, my bet is there will probably be some redundancies. I'd be happy to work with you to clean this up!

That sounds just fine. I think we added stuff, MRI added stuff, and now merging together requires a little cleanup. I'm just not a crypto guy so I will have trouble determining which tests are redundant.

As far as cert/key fixtures go, there's very few tests that wouldn't work with any old cert or key...so that's worth cleaning up for sure.

As a subsequent step, it would be worthwhile to port some of these tests (with additional cleanup) into RubySpec.
Feature #7400: Incorporate OpenSSL tests from JRuby.

Assignee: MartinBosslet (Martin Bosslet)
Category: ext
Target version: 2.0.0

=begin
from github: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/206

((*These are tests we added to jruby-openssl over the years. They did not have equivalents in Ruby's test suite, so we are hoping to contribute them back to help build up MRI's suite as a common suite.*))

((*Some caveats:*))

* ((*Not all of these pass in MRI's OpenSSL impl. Many differences appear to be minor, but I need help sorting out what's wrong in MRI or JRuby or minor enough that the test just needs to be patched.*))
* ((*There are several tests that reference bug numbers from JRuby. We would like to contribute these tests, but we would ideally not lose the JRuby bug numbers for future reference.*))
* ((*This commit also adds fixtures for the certificate tests, using some self-generated certs, keys, etc.*))

((*I am standing by to work with ruby-core on getting these tests incorporated.*))
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/