Feature #6670: str.chars.last should be possible

Author: yhara (Yutaka HARA)
Assignee: nagachika (Tomoyuki Chikanaga)
Category: core
Target version: 2.0.0

=begin
Since str.chars returns an Enumerator, we need explicit to_a for some operations:

  str.chars.to_a.last
  str.chars.to_a[1,3]

But often I forget that and write:

  str.chars.last
  str.chars[1,3]

Besides that, I feel it is hard to explain why to_a is needed here when I'm writing
artilcles for Ruby beginners.

Simplest way to achieve this is to make String#chars (also #lines, #bytes and #codepoints)
return an Array. Since arrays have most of the methods defined in Enumerator, this will
not be a big change. For programs like str.chars.next, you can use each_char instead.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/