@boris
> You give +1 to stability. I give +1 to having a synonym #identical? for #equal?

Nothing to do with stability. A bit more like +1 to defeatism.
Feature #7377: #indetical? as an alias for #equal?

Author: aef (Alexander E. Fischer)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: next minor

As my feature request #7359 got rejected, here a more backward-compatible approach:

In my opinion the difference between #eql? and #equal? is really unintuitive. How about making their difference more obvious by giving one of them a more accurate name?

My proposal is to alias #equal? to #identical?.

I'll write a patch, if this is acceptable.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/