Target version set to next minor

Feature #6590:  Dealing with bigdecimal, etc gems in JRuby

Author: headius (Charles Nutter)
Assignee: nahi (Hiroshi Nakamura)
Category:
Target version: next minor

 Hello!

 http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-6704

 We have a need to make the "bigdecimal" gem work for JRuby, so that
 distros (like Red Hat, mentioned in the above bug) and users can have
 the same gemspec for JRuby with updated bigdecimal gem references.

 I'm not sure the best way to proceed.

 The bigdecimal source and gemspec all come from MRI source, and are
 not versioned separately. That means we can't simply share a
 repository for the JRuby bits. We could maintain a forked version in
 our forked "jruby/ruby" repository, but that wouldn't be part of the
 bigdecimal release cycle then.

 So I'm looking to you for guidance.

 The BigDecimal lib is here in JRuby:
 https://github.com/jruby/jruby/tree/master/src/org/jruby/ext/bigdecimal

 It might be simplest if for now there's a dummy "bigdecimal" gem
 pushed for JRuby that does not contain anything, since we would have
 other complications if we tried to remove BigDecimal from JRuby proper
 (it is referenced elsewhere int eh code, etc).

 Thoughts?

 - Charlie

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/