Hello,

In message "[ruby-core:49766] [ruby-trunk - Feature #3356] Add GetShortPathName to ruby"
    on Nov.21,2012 00:17:14, <luislavena / gmail.com> wrote:
> Shortname version of a filename is not canonical, is just one of many representations of a file in the filesystem.

agreed.
I've realized that the shortname is a kind of a hardlink.

> If the intention is use short_name to be able to shell out, why not improve Windows support on ShellWords so it properly escapes the path instead?
>
> We keep improving Ruby on Windows to properly support long names and path with spaces that adding this seems counter productive from my point of view.

agreed.

However, improving the longname (expecially including spaces) is not
conflict to add a new method to get shortname, I think.
Since I do not have a usecase of the method, I cannot judge whether
the method is necessery or not.
Therefore, users who need the method should show some suitable usecases.
Of course, as menthioned above, to gloss over the problems in ruby itself
with handling longnames.

Regards,
--
U.Nakamura <usa / garbagecollect.jp>