Issue #4085 has been updated by shugo (Shugo Maeda).

The8472 (Aaron G) wrote:
>  Therefore I think that class inheritance should be removed. And if it
>  gets replaced in the future then it should be with submodule based
>  inheritance.

I'll remove it if permission granted by Matz.

>  For now people can use Module.extended/.included if they really want to
>  add refinement inheritance themselves.

Currently this wouldn't work because you cannot get the caller context in these hooks.

>  > B. refinement activation for reopened module definitions
>  > C. refinement activation for the string version of module_eval/instance_eval
>  > D. refinement activation for the block version of module_eval/instance_eval
>
>  I don't feel strongly about those, but if the module_eval performance
>  really has such a big issue as headius asserts then it might be better
>  to postpone it until a solution has been found.

A solution has been found at least in CRuby.
I'm waiting for ko1's review.

>  Probably the safest approach for now would be to use the source
>  refinement scope (which is quasi-static) for module_eval by default and
>  add a way to use the target scope (or an explicit scope) later on as
>  needed. If there is any performance impact it would restricted to the
>  target-scoped procs.

Do you mean that a new option of module_eval should be introduced?
For example,

  Foo.module_eval { # use refinements in the current context }
  Foo.module_eval(using_refinements: true) { # use refinements in the receiver }

>  What about cases like
>
>     module SomeExt
>       refine String do
>         def bar
>         end
>       end
>     end
>
>     class Foo
>       using SomeExt
>
>       def self.test1
>         "".tap(&:bar)
>       end
>
>       def self.test2
>         "".tap{|f| f.bar}
>       end
>     end
>

>  String.bar is only visible inside Foo, but in test1 the Proc is created
>  in .to_proc of Symbol, i.e. on a different stack frame, which shouldn't
>  be able to see bar due to the scoping. Which leads to counter-intuitive
>  results.

Originally, String#bar was not visible in the Proc created by Symbol#to_proc.
But I've changed it because Matz asked to do.  I think the current behavior
is not consistent, but useful.

If Symbol#to_proc were written in Ruby, it would be impossible, but
Symbol#to_proc is written in C.  There are some such special methods.
For example, Module.nesting returns the module nesting information in the
caller context.  Module#using also affects the caller context.

Feature #4085: Refinements and nested methods