Issue #6811 has been updated by boris_stitnicky (Boris Stitnicky).

First, let me apologize to everyone for expressing opinion, while having relatively little experience. I like your proposal, but I am concerned about feature creep. Maybe those convenience features should go to stdlib, just like eg. require 'mathn' changes math behavior, we could have require 'fileboost' or something making FileUtils fatter. I think that in the future, there will be many amazing proposals for FileUtils functionality, like yours here, so the best of them could go to this 'fileboost' or whatever other name would it have.
Feature #6811: File, Dir and FileUtils should have bang-versions of singleton methods that fails silently

Author: prijutme4ty (Ilya Vorontsov)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

I found that often write
Dir.mkdir(folder) unless Dir.exist? folder
and similar code for rm, rm_rf and so on
We can simply make bang-versions like
def Dir.mkdir!(folder, permissions=0744)
  Dir.mkdir(folder, permissions) unless Dir.exist? folder
# or another alternative  Dir.mkdir(folder, permissions) rescue false

http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/