Dne 18.11.2012 18:37, Yusuke Endoh napsal(a):
> Hello Vit,
>
> 2012/11/19 V?t Ondruch <v.ondruch / gmail.com>:
>>> I can understand the policy of the Linux distribution.  But, Ruby source
>>> distribution is mainly used for those who intend to use Ruby with no
>>> packaing system.
>>
>> Who are you referring to? If there is somebody like that, he/she should have
>> probably some level of understanding, because it will be needed sooner or
>> later.
>
> As you might guess, I'm concerned about those who build Ruby source
> tarball themselves.

I appreciate that, thank you. I build Ruby from sources as well. Since I
am preparing packages for Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, I don't
have other option ;)

> Probably, they are not a majority.  But we hold them in high regard.
> They are the first users for us.

I build the trunk quite often to keep up with development and to try to
prevent changes like this.

> Of course, many of them will address the dependency lack.
> But we can easily fix the lack ourselves.  I don't like to waste
> their time to perform the following useless process:
>
>    - build and install Ruby tarball,
>    - (after a bit) notice that gem does not work,
>    - find the cause and workaround with impatience,
>    - find, download, build and install libyaml, and

You do it once and then you can build Ruby as many times as you want
without that penalty.

>    - rebuild and reinstall Ruby tarball again!

If the configuration would fail earlier (#7385), they would definitely
save time of build and installation.

But anyway. I'll try to refrain from further comments to this thread,
since I made all my points.

Vit