Issue #5528 has been updated by boris_stitnicky (Boris Stitnicky).

I think that so few people respond to this because they are not users of Tracepoint :-)
Feature #5528: OO API for tracing

Author: trans (Thomas Sawyer)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version: Next Major

It would be nice to see a better API for "set_trace_func" functionality.

I wrote a fairly simple library to do this some time ago called <a href="https://github.com/rubyworks/tracepoint>TracePoint</a>. One of the significant advantages of TracePoint is that it allows for multiple traces to be defined without interfering others and they can even be given names to activate and deactivate them independently.

It would be nice to see something like this is Ruby 2.0, it would have the a number of advantages:

* Object-oriented - a tracepoint is an object, not just an array of arguments.
* Connescence - the tracepoint methods give tangible names to the properties that are traced.
* More robust - currently one use of set_trace_func will clobber another.

And probably others beside.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/