Issue #7375 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

vo.x (Vit Ondruch) wrote:
> I hope this proposal will be rejected. Here are some reasons:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Why_not_bundle_dependencies
>
> And here are policies regarding bundling for several Linux distributions. All of them forbids bundling
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Bundling_of_multiple_projects
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-embeddedfiles
> http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_guidelines#Bundling_of_multiple_projects

There are two fairly easy ways to fix that, hopefully Aaron will choose one of them:

1) Default to using the system implementation if present, using the embedded one only if no system implementation is found.
2) Default to using the embedded implementation, but have a separate configure flag for using the system implementation.

I'd prefer 1), since it doesn't change things for existing packagers, while making it easier on other people who build ruby from source.
Feature #7375: embedding libyaml in psych for Ruby 2.0