Issue #7363 has been reported by aef (Alexander E. Fischer).

Feature #7363: Remove the global Pathname() method
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7363

Author: aef (Alexander E. Fischer)
Assignee:
Category: lib
Target version:

About a year ago I sumbitted an not yet accepted patch for Ruby on GitHub which deprecates the global Pathname() method and adds the .[] operator to the Pathname class. The patch got ignored, supposedly because I didn't post it here.

https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/61

I think poisoning the global namespace with methods named after classes should be considered bad style. Instead, all related methods should lie below the Class' namespace. I hope you share that opinion.

As some User once suggested that probably only collection type classes (e.g. Set) should have a .[] operator, I'm no longer proposing to add .[] instead to Pathname.

If you like the idea, please let me know. I will modify the patch then.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/