Issue #4085 has been updated by jballanc (Joshua Ballanco).

Ok, I think I finally figured out what it is about refinements that makes me so uncomfortable... Refinements violate PLOS in a very bad way, I think, because the behavior of code no longer depends only on the objects and statements in the code, but also where that code is located. For example, consider the following:

-----

module RefString
  refine String do
    def camelize
      "I'm a camel!"

class ARBase
  using RefString
end

class DoIt < ARBase
  def handle(a_string)
    puts a_string.camelize
    # ... other stuff

-----

Now, consider the very common case where we would refactor this code by extracting a portion of the method into a helper class:

-----

class DoIt
  def handle(a_string)
    Helper.new.help_me(a_string)
    # ... other stuff

class Helper
  def help_me(a_string)
    puts a_string.camelize

-----

This, of course, breaks...and I worry that this will have a chilling effect on the willingness of people to refactor their code (something we all don't do enough of as is). I think any benefit that library authors gain in not monkey-patching core classes would be outweighed by the reduced ability to do simple refactorings.
Feature #4085: Refinements and nested methods