Issue #4085 has been updated by shugo (Shugo Maeda).

headius (Charles Nutter) wrote:
> Well, I have some bad news.
>
> I have spent some time trying to find a reasonable way to implement refinements in JRuby, and without reducing the feature set it's simply not possible to do without global (and sometimes terrible) impact to general application performance.

ko1 came up with a new idea to implement refinements without impact to applications which don't use refinements.
The basic idea is:

* When a method is defined in a refinement (a module given as self in a block of Module#refine), add a method entry with the special type such as VM_METHOD_TYPE_REFINED to the class to be refined.  If the original class has a method with the same name, the original method is linked to the new method entry with VM_METHOD_TYPE_REFINED.
* If and only if a method entry with VM_METHOD_TYPE_REFINED is found in a method invocation, search methods of refinements.  However, even if a method is found in refinements, don't store the method of refinements in an inline method cache.  Instead, store the method entry with VM_METHOD_TYPE_REFINED.  (So it may be better to have a cache dedicated to refinements)  If no method is found in refinements, use the original method entry linked to the method entry with VM_METHOD_TYPE_REFINED.

What do you think of this idea?

Feature #4085: Refinements and nested methods