Feature #7314: Convert Proc to Lambda doesn't work in MRI

Author: schneems (Richard Schneeman)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

=begin

I have code where I need to convert a proc to a lambda (i need to be able to return out of the block). I would expect that passing a proc into a lambda to return a lambda. When I run this code on MRI i do not get the result I would expect

 my_proc = proc { |x| x }
 my_lambda = lambda &my_proc
 my_lambda.lambda?

The result is (({false})) but I would expect it to be  (({true}))

There is currently a way to turn a proc into a lambda in MRI like this:

  def convert_to_lambda &block
    obj = Object.new
    obj.define_singleton_method(:_, &block)
    return obj.method(:_).to_proc
  end

But this feels like a hack, and is not supported across other implementations. I would expect that passing a proc into a lambda to return a lambda, I believe it is a bug.

=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/