I currently don't see any way to support enabling refinements in blocks without a global, unavoidable impact to all call sites.

If refinements are applied lexically, then a block suddenly having refinements active does not make sense, since the code in the block is not lexically surrounded by a scope with active refinements.

If refinements are applied based on the cref module, then a block still can't see them because cref for the block is determined lexically. This was explicitly done to allow constant lookup to always proceed based on lexical scopes.

Formally, the clearest way for refinements to work is for you to explicitly opt into them everywhere you want to use them. A couple thoughts about different forms:

1. using as a scope-opening keyword like "class" or "module":

using RSpec
  describe "Some Spec" do
    it "does some RSpec things" do # "it" comes from refinements
      'foo'.should == 'foo' # "should" comes from refinements

This is clear to the user and the parser that all calls downstream from the "using" must consider refinements. They would see the refinements based on cref (or something similar) because of the explicit nesting of scopes.

2. "using" as a pseudo-keyword, affecting lexical scopes and code following "using"

using RSpec

describe "Some Spec" do
  it "does some RSpec things" do # "it" comes from refinements
     'foo'.should == 'foo' # "should" comes from refinements

In this case, the parser could still treat all calls following "using" as needing refinements. This is less ideal, because it force us to treat all "using" calls everywhere in the system as potentially triggering refined call sites. It also makes it impossible to detect if "using" is ever aliased or sent. If such features are expected, we'd be back to treating all calls as refined all the time.

Honestly, I really believe that allowing refinements to affect scopes that have no "using" anywhere in sight is going to be really confusing, and it has the added pain of making efficient call site caching hard or impossible.
Feature #4085: Refinements and nested methods