Issue #7110 has been updated by stomar (Marcus Stollsteimer).

> In my opinion compatibility is more important than consistency, but
> ultimately it is up to xibbar.
>
> Other ruby-core share this sentiment, see ruby-core:48469

I don't think a general rule can be derived from this single statement. Also, the circumstances are different. Here, it is more a question of avoiding inconsistent and unexpected behaviour than of adding some "would be nice to have" method.

But don't understand me wrong, I'm all for compatibility.

Maybe a point that would have to be considered is whether this change can be regarded as a mostly internal change of a method that is usually not called directly by the average user of the library, or not.
Bug #7110: CGI: Add support for HTML5 <header> tag