Issue #4085 has been updated by shugo (Shugo Maeda).

headius (Charles Nutter) wrote:
> Ok, early notes from writing up specs and starting to explore an implementation for JRuby.

Thanks.

> * Refinements in modules and class hierarchies does not seem like a problem to me yet.
> * Refinements are "used" in temporal order...methods added before "using" won't see refinements, refinements added after "using" won't be applied. I think this is a good thing, since it allows us to have a one-shot flag for refinements on methods at definition time.

The current behavior is mainly for an implementation reason, but Matz and ko1 seem not to like it:(

> * Months ago when the original proposal came out, I expressed my concern about refinements applying to module_eval and friends. I still strongly object to this behavior.

I also wonder whether module_eval with blocks should be affected by refinements or not, but I think module_eval with strings (e.g., M.module_eval("C.new.foo")) has no problem, right?

> This is dynamic application of refinements, which has been hotly debated and which I *thought* was supposed to be removed. I assume it has been left in because it is required to apply refinements "magically" to all-block code like rspec. I do not see this as an excuse to introduce such an unpredictable feature.

instance_eval and module_eval themselves have the same problem because they change self "magically".
At first, I thought they are evil, but they are popular now.
I'd like to ask Matz's opinion.

Feature #4085: Refinements and nested methods