Feature #6216: SystemStackError backtraces should not be reduced to one line

Author: postmodern (Hal Brodigan)
Assignee: ko1 (Koichi Sasada)
Category: core
Target version: next minor

When debugging "SystemStackError: stack level too deep" exceptions, it is not helpful that the backtrace is reduced to one single line. Most of the time Ruby incorrectly identifies where cycles begin, resulting in an unrelated "file:line" as the backtrace. A more useful behaviour would be to print the last 30 lines of the backtrace, and have the developer identify which "file:line" is causing the cycle. This is similar to how JRuby handles SystemStackError backtraces.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/