Target version changed from 2.0.0 to next minor

I changed target to next minor because no discussion.

Feature #4978: forwardable: support for 'delegate :method => :accessor'

Author: Eregon (Benoit Daloze)
Assignee: keiju (Keiju Ishitsuka)
Category: lib
Target version: next minor

Hello,

A few months ago, I met a bug with lib/forwardable.rb:

  delegate :method => :accessor

would not work, although mentioned in the documentation.

Keiju solved this at r31507, being faster than me :)

However, I would still like to propose my solution.

#instance_delegate and #single_delegate both accept
a Symbol-Symbol pair (:method => :accessor)
and a Array-Symbol pair ([:method1, :method2] => :accessor).

The current code looks like:

  methods = [methods] unless methods.respond_to?(:each)
  methods.each{ |method|
    def_instance_delegator(accessor, method)
  }

I propose:

  Array(methods).each{ |method|
    def_instance_delegator(accessor, method)
  }

I believe this is a good use for Kernel#Array, and it does not depend on #each being defined on Symbol/String.

While I am at it, I would like to advise to not use the fact String#each for a single line String used to yield the whole String.
This is likely not what #each is intended for, and broke with 1.9, which undefined String#each.

I began to write a few tests for forwardable, is it better to add them in test/ or RubySpec ?

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/