Status changed from Feedback to Rejected

Feature #2645: Have a method in StringScanner which returns the position in characters rather than in bytes

Author: stefanocr (Stefano Crocco)
Assignee: naruse (Yui NARUSE)
Category: ext
Target version: 2.0.0

=begin
 In ruby 1.9, StringScanner#pos returns the position in number of bytes. I read on the ruby mailing list (http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/352809) this happens because working with character-based indexes would be too slow. However, I think it would be nice if StringScanner also provided a method which returned the position in terms of characters (even if it would be slow). As I see it, the situation is the same as with StringScanner#get_byte and StringScanner#getch. I think this would be useful because, when using StringScanner, you're usually interested in the character rather than in bytes.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/