Target version changed from 2.0.0 to next minor

I changed the target "next minor" this ticket because no response here.

Feature #908: Should be an easy way of reading N characters from am I/O stream

Author: mike (Michael Selig)
Assignee: akr (Akira Tanaka)
Category: core
Target version: next minor

=begin
 I know of no way of reading N characters (as opposed to bytes) and returning a string other than writing a loop with getc or each_char.

 Suggestions - one of:

 1) Change the "limit" paramater on IO#gets to mean characters rather than bytes. This would change existing behaviour, so may be unacceptable.

 2) Add an optional "limit" parameter to IO#getc, so IO#getc will read up to this many characters
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/