On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Yusuke Endoh <mame / tsg.ne.jp> wrote:

>> but nothing has been done so far, I haven't received any feedback, and
>> now this 2.0 feature freeze announcement comes out of the blue (for me
>> at least).
>
> Sorry, but please do NOT assume that you can get a feedback
> just by opening a feature request ticket.
> All feature proposers are supposed to make an effort to get
> related committers' interest and matz's approval.

Thanks for your answer and your advices Yusuke.

I have written to mr. Knu (maintainer of IPAddr) multiple times, I
have interacted with Matz which was positive about the idea, I have
opened the ticket and even asked what I could do to help.

Next step was to be reported for stalking, but I have a family to take
care of and they don't let me code from prison :-)

> It is also a very good idea to appeal to matz face-to-face,
> e.g., at some conferences.

I've tried with a horse head in the bed, didn't work.

> In short, you don't have to hesitate, or even you are
> encouraged to open any feature request ticket, but it is
> often insufficient.

Got the message. I'll have to improve my determination from this point
of view. Thanks again for your adivces.

Now, my 2 cents: IPAddr should not be part of Ruby 2.0. It is too
outdated and too strangely behaving to be the default IP addresses
management library for a mainstream language such as Ruby. I know Ruby
doesn't exactly target to networking, but If you don't plan to replace
it with some other library (there are many) at least consider to just
not include it.