Issue #7149 has been reported by boris_stitnicky (Boris Stitnicky).

Feature #7149: Constant magic for everyone.
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/7149

Author: boris_stitnicky (Boris Stitnicky)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:

I noticed that certain objects have constant magic: When they are first assigned to a constant, they acquire a name property equal to the constant name string. I only know about Class and Struct objects behaving this way. I like this behavior, because I like to be able to say something like:

Adenosine = ChemicalSpecies.new initial_concentration: 5.micromolar
Adenosine.name #=> "Adenosine"

I like it so much, that I wrote a library (I call it ConstantMagicErsatz) for myself that searches whole namespace for the new objects assigned to constants. But searching whole wild namespace has its pitfalls. It is a wildly difficult workaround to get the candy I want. I am dreaming about just being able to say:

class ChemicalSpecies
  constant_magic true
end

and imbue ChemicalSpecies with the same constant magic ability that Class and Struct classes have. Could it be made possible, please?

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/