Feature #6669: A method like Hash#map but returns hash

Author: yhara (Yutaka HARA)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: 2.0.0

=begin
Given a hash h, h.map returns an array(alist), but sometimes I hope it returned a hash.

Example:

  class Hash
    def apply(&block)
      self.inject({}) do |h, (k, v)|
        new_k, new_v = *block.call(k, v)
        h[new_k] = new_v

  score = {
    taro: [1,3,2],
    jiro: [3,5,8,4],
    saburo: [2,9]
  }
  max_score = score.apply{|k,v| [k, v.max]}
  #=> {taro: 3, jiro: 8, saburo: 9}
  p max_score[:taro]
  #=> 3

I'm not thinking "apply" is a perfect name for this. Maybe "hash_map" is better
(we already have "flat_map").
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/