Bug #7029: yaml#load_file too slow under Psych

Author: mattneub (Matt Neuburg)
Assignee: tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson)
Category: ext
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p194 (2012-04-20 revision 35410) [x86_64-darwin10.8.0]

Unzip attached folder and run test.rb. Remember time output. Now uncomment the ENGINE line so we switch from Psych to Syck as yaml engine, and do it again. On my machine, time for Psych is about twice the time for Syck. (Time under old yaml under Ruby 1.8.7 is comparable to Syck here.)

The example is artificial but in the actual use-case in my application this doubling of the time is killing performance for me. I regard this as a severe bug. I expect at least comparable performance. In my view the adoption of Psych yaml engine in 1.9.3 has been prematurely forced upon users, and should be rolled back until performance is comparable to Syck. At least the default should be reversed; for now, Syck should be the default and users can then choose Psych if they want it.

ruby 1.9.3p194 (2012-04-20 revision 35410) [x86_64-darwin10.8.0]

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/