In fact, step 4 runs before step 2 in every run, you could easily check it by putting "puts", so that
thread.run wakes up sub thread at the beginning, not at the condvar.wait !!!!

Then steps are looks like:

1. main thread wait at serialize.wait
2. sub thread wake main thread up by serialize signal
3. sub thread wait at condvar.wait(mutex, 0.001)
5. main thread take 'mutex'
6. main thread sleep 0.01 seconds (imitating some work).
7. sub thread tries to wake up, so that it should not be present in waiters.
   But he can't wake up because it can't take a 'mutex'.
7. main thread inspect condvar.waiters and it found sub thread.

I cann't understand, why "main thread shouldn't take a mutex"? In real application it could be very other thread, not main.
Holding mutex by main thread were intentionally to expose this race. Race could happen without it, but it would be hard to catch.

I see, that callback should be wrapped in ensure inside of mutex.sleep . Thank you for this point, I'll try to fix it.

Bug #6174: Fix collision of ConditionVariable#wait timeout and #signal (+ other cosmetic changes)