Issue #6957 has been reported by kl (Kalle Lindstr旦m).

Bug #6957: Net::HTTP#request_get bug
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6957

Author: kl (Kalle Lindstr旦m)
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p194 (2012-04-20) [i386-mingw32]

Hello,

Looking at the source for Net::HTTP#request_get it says that if you pass in a block it will not read the body unless you call #read_body on the response. But when I pass in a block it seems that it reads the when the block exits, even though I did not call #read_body on the request. Consider this example:

url = "http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/5/165b076b-aaa9-443d-84f0-73cf11fdcdf8/WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe"
uri = URI(url)
http = Net::HTTP.new(uri.hostname, uri.port)

http.request_get(uri.request_uri) do |req|
  puts req["content-length"]
end # Program stops here for a long time - it must be downloading the body of the file?

compared to this:

http.request_get(uri.request_uri) do |req|
  puts req["content-length"]
  break # Now this method works as expected, it exits at this point without any delay

http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/